Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Action Plan

Is there such a thing as copycat crime?

Specific targets:

Week 7
- Define copycat crime
- Discuss Jamie Bulger case
> the facts
> the killers' background
> media links
> content analysis of sequences from Childs Play 3
- Define other relevant theories, including the hypodermic needle model and the Cause and Effect argument

Targets completed? Yes. Blog posts discussing my definition of copycat crime, as well as the Jamie Bulger case. Later on (around week 10) will look at newspaper coverage of the case when I am looking at media response to moral panics.

General target: Make sure to keep a record of all sources, noting where I got the information from.

Week 8
- Discuss Columbine or Virginia Tech case
> the facts
> the killers background
> media links: identify what, if any specific films, had an effect
- Identify other famous examples of copycat crime

Targets completed? Yes. Blog posts containing as much information as I could find about these case studies. Other examples of copycat crime noted, such as The Exorcist suicide link, and the Dawson college shooting.

General target: Start to analyse sources as I go along

Week 9
- Initial questionnaire asking for very basic views
- Make notes from some books

Targets completed? Yes. I created my internet survey (there is a link on the blog) and 15 people completed it. I will analyse the results in weeks 10 and 11. I also made some notes on books during our BFI library visit.

General target: Continue to do background reading

Weeks 10 and 11
- Conduct one-to-one interviews asking a large range of people (of different ages, genders and ethnicities) whether thet believe there is a link between the media and between certain crimes, and if they do, what evidence they have of this
- Analyse existing research studies, including Bandura's 'Bobo doll' study and Buckinghams interviews with children
- Make some reference to BBFC policy regarding copycat crime. Mention imitable behaviour and also BBFC reaction to moral panics over film
- Identify the ways in which certain types of media (ie the Daily Mail) sensationalise the link between media and crime, creating moral panics.
- Conclude research, both primary and secondary, and try to answer my proposed question as far as I can, bringing in my own personal views as well

Targets completed?

No comments: